Spotlight On: 1 Hotel Mayfair
Here’s a fledgling hotel brand to keep your eyes peeled for: 1 Hotels. Nature-inspired, the group launched in 2015 with two properties in the US – one in California’s South Beach, and the other in Manhattan. Flash forward to 2023 and there are six further properties in the portfolio (including one in China), and a further seven in development, including 1 Hotel Mayfair, one of our capital’s most exciting luxury hotel openings of 2023. But what makes it so special?
1 Hotel Mayfair will house 181 guest rooms and suites across nine stories, peering over Green Park with skyline views across the city. Likewise, there will be a restaurant from Tom Sellers (of Michelin starred restaurant Story London), a bar, a neighbourhood coffee shop, a fitness centre, and a Bamford Wellness Spa. Sounds standard – but, as London’s very first mission-driven nature-centric luxury hotel, sustainability is woven throughout the property, and will be intrinsic to the hotel’s culture, storytelling and service when it opens this summer.
Sustainable From The Start
Located on Berkeley Street, 1 Hotel Mayfair occupies an existing building, with more than 80 percent of the existing structure retained in order to minimise carbon output via renovation and reconstruction. An estimated 4,200 tonnes of carbon were held onto in doing this.
Likewise, the materials used during the renovation are sustainably sourced if not recycled. Guests can expect to see:
- Reclaimed metal floor tiles
- Solar panels
- Retained concrete waffle slabs ceiling in the Wellness area
- Timber flooring crafted from fallen trees (specifically trees from the Windsor Estate)
- Welsh slate bathroom vanities
- Yorkshire dry stone walls
- A reception desk crafted from one naturally felled piece of wood from Sussex
- A chandelier created with air plants and sliding rattan panels
- Specially commissioned artwork drawing attention to humankind’s impact on the environment – including a piece by marine-plastic artist Steve McPherson
- Large areas with green living walls, including moss walls in guestrooms.
In fact, there will be a total of more than 200 plant species across the property, thanks to these internal living elements as well as a new public garden outside. The onsite restaurant, Dovetail, will be similarly driven by sustainability; led by Tom Sellers, expect a deep respect for seasonal produce.
1 Hotel Mayfair will open in summer 2023, with rooms starting from £900 per night. 1hotels.com